Thursday, July 2, 2009

Forced Organization


Living in a super-tiny apartment has been a way to force me into organizing my home. We (myself, my hubby and our daughter) enjoy the essentials of life--basic furniture/decorative items, and living needs (if you include a TV, Wii, etc as "needs") but that's about all. At first I thought I would miss the other miscellaneous items that I had grown accustomed to--there was just absolutely no extra room to keep them around-- but I actually love the simplicity that living with the basics forces us to do. It helps me to keep my life more relaxed and more peaceful. It took a while for me to realize what I could actually live without, but as I slowly got rid of more and more, I realized the amount of junk that I had accumulated over time--and how that junk was serving us no purpose and just taking up space.

Getting rid of all our extra junk wasn't easy--it was especially difficult for my husband to allow me to "minimize" and "downsize", but after it was all said and done, he too, didn't miss any of it.

I have found that eliminating the extra clutter in our home has made a significant difference in the chaos that we used to feel. We move slower, and we have time to really enjoy the happiness in our everyday lives.

When we had our baby, we decided that we didn't need all the fancy accoutrements that so many people buy. It has been wonderful!! Living a minimalist (sort-of) lifestyle has been a blessing to us--and if you ever want to know more about it, I will be happy to share!

So, why don't you head over to that closet and see if there isn't anything you can get rid of!

In my next post I will explain the SUPER EASY way to get started on organizing. You will be surprised how quick and easy it is!
(again, this cute pic is from www.apartmenttherapy.com they have great ideas!)